The high incidence of obesity has generated so much interest in low carb diet plans and low carb diet foods. Can your problem of obesity or overweight be contained by them?
Obesity's High Incidence
According to statistics compiled by the American Heart Association, among Americans age 20 and older, 142.0 million are overweight or obese of which 73.0 million are men and 69.0 million are women. Of these, 67.4 million are obese accounting of 30.7 million men and 36.7 million women. Also, among adults, obesity was associated with nearly 112,000 excess deaths relative to normal weight in 2000. Of these, grade 1 obesity (Body Mass Index or BMI from 30 to less than 35) was associated with almost 30,000 excess deaths and grade II- III obesity (BMI 35+) with over 82,000 excess deaths.
Aside from these, obesity increases your risk of contracting diseases which includes colon and breast cancer, stroke, coronary heart disease, and hypertension, to name a few, and other bad health consequences. No wonder, many Americans are becoming more and more concerned about their body weight condition and so look for some fast fixes to their problem. Consequently, they turn to low carb diet foods or low carb diet plans.
Causes of Obesity
You become when you take in more calories than are needed by your body everyday, thus causing an imbalance. That imbalance is determined by how fast your body can burn those calories and is dependent on various factors. These are side effects of medication such as corticosteroids and others:
1. Heredity – your chances of being obese is greater if at least one of your parents is obese.
2. Inactivity causes you to burn less calories.
3. Medical problems and thyroid metabolic conditions which affect your ability to burn calories.
4. Environmental such as lack of facilities or even sidewalks where one can at least take a walk. Also, children tend to adopt the life styles of parents.
5. Use of alcohol
6. Psychological factors such as anxiety, grief, anger, boredom or other forms of stress can cause you to overeat.
7. Overeating and eating disorders
8. Aging – as you age, your metabolism decreases and if without exercise, will cause your weight to increase.
Cessation of smoking sometimes can make you gain weight. Food tastes and smells better so you eat better.
Combating this Malady
Low carb diet foods or following low carb diet plans alone can not cure obesity. As can be seen from its causes, not all cases of obesity can be cured by dieting alone. This should be accompanied by changes in your life style, which should include exercise, outdoor activities where clean air and sunshine are, and avoiding drinks like alcohol.
You must also avoid any situation that will compromise your resolve and cause you to throw away your restraint in eating and drinking. There is one medical condition which regardless will show no visible result even if you are following those things: hypothyroidism, unless corrected. However, even with that condition, doing them will help prevent your condition from aggravating. Low carb diet foods overce obesity? Yes, it can help; but it can never attain a lasting ideal weight alone.